10 Questions With a Superintendent
We caught up with Jewett Superintendent Gene Garneau to get to know more about him and the projects he loves!
- What time do you wake up in the morning?
I typically wake up around 3:30a/4a and I’m on the jobsite by 6/6:30a
- What does a typical week look like for you?
There is no week that is exactly the same. I’m constantly dealing with 100 different moving parts and various activities. Things like working with the different trades, daily reporting, daily meetings with our subcontractors, and probably 1,000 other things! My main role is coordination and communication, and every week there are different needs. I enjoy being the key to communication, making sure everyone is in the know and that everything is getting done.
- Before working at Jewett, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I’ve been in this industry for 40 plus years, so I’ve had a lot of strange and unique jobs. But my most memorable one was building a condominium building that was within 5 feet of an active railway in the City of Boston. There was lots of coordination and planning to ensure that everyone on site was safe and that both construction and train operations could run smoothly.
- What has been your favorite project at Jewett?
The NineZero Washington project in Salem, Massachusetts has been my favorite project. I loved the unique aspect of the building process – we built a portion of a building over another building that was actively occupied. And the end-user was the City of Salem. It was overall a great project.
- What’s been one of your proudest moments working with Jewett?
Any time the customer is excited about the progress. I am in constant communication with the project owner and project manager and I enjoy knowing they’re excited.
- What do you like do to do when you’re not on-site?
I try and spend as much time with my family as possible. I also enjoy golfing and working on my yard at home.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled to?
I love the Southwest area of Florida. There are so many great towns, the weather is beautiful, and the golf is fantastic.
- If you could switch your job with anyone else within Jewett, whose job would you want?
Our office dog Piper seems like he’s got a pretty great job – he’s so happy and he gets treats all day. I’d probably like to swap with him.
- What is the one thing, you can’t live without?
My first cup of coffee in the morning.
Learn how Jewett Construction can help you with your next project.